Fire Protection Services for Restaurants in Maryland
Restaurants require special fire protection services due to their highly flammable environment. A standard fire sprinkler or fire extinguisher system just doesn’t work when it comes to a grease fire. To be prepared for a fire emergency, you need systems in place to both suppress the fire and to empower your employees with the skills to react appropriately.
The latest report from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) states that over 7,400 restaurants in the US call the fire department each year. The blazes in eating and drinking establishments cause three civilian deaths, more than 100 civilian injuries, and $165 million in property damages annually.
Thankfully, these numbers are on the decline compared to previous years as more restaurant owners make fire protection a priority. If you want to protect your property, employees, and patrons from fire, it’s vital to have the proper fire protection systems in your Maryland restaurant.
Guardian Fire Protection Services offers total commercial kitchen suppression services in Baltimore, Annapolis, Potomac, and the greater Maryland area. Fill out our contact form now to learn more.
Commercial Kitchen Fire Suppression Equipment
Guardian is the premier provider of kitchen fire suppression services in the DMV area. Our in-house experts bring together all the elements you need for fully integrated hood ventilation and fire protection, including:
- Automatic fire suppression system: Because over 60 percent of restaurant fires involve cooking equipment, the kitchen demands the most protection. Water isn’t effective against grease fires, so sprinklers aren’t the right solution. Instead, you need a clean agent fire suppression system in your commercial kitchen. This can be a wet or dry chemical that will extinguish fire caused either by grease or flammable liquid.
- Kitchen hood and vent: A properly designed exhaust system is necessary for venting fumes and heat to the exterior. Grease particles can build up in the vent hood, so you must also have this part of your commercial kitchen cleaned routinely.
- Fire extinguishers: While automatic fire suppression is an invaluable part of your fire protection system, you should also give your employees firefighting power. Install Class K fire extinguishers in the kitchen and ABC extinguishers elsewhere to fight other common causes of restaurant fires, including lighting and heating equipment, as well as smoking materials.
If you need any of these systems installed or inspected, call Guardian Fire Protection today at (301) 591-0972.
Preventative Kitchen Fire Practices in Maryland
Train Your Staff
Everyone who works in your restaurant should make an effort to prevent fires from igniting. Train your employees to follow these fire protection tips:
- Clean all work surfaces and dispose of ashes, soiled rags, trash, and boxes properly at the end of the day.
- Keep the kitchen area clean. Store paper products, linens, and boxes away from heat sources.
- Store cooking liquids in tightly sealed containers.
- Use cleaning chemicals in well-ventilated areas. Clean up spills immediately.
- Never smoke in the kitchen, and dispose of cigarette butts once they are completely extinguished.
Have an Emergency Plan in Place
Despite your best efforts, it’s still possible for a fire to break out in your Maryland restaurant. Help your staff prepare with these emergency tips:
- Never attempt to throw water on a grease fire.
- Operate a fire extinguisher using the PASS technique—Pull the pin, Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire, Squeeze the handle, and Sweep the nozzle from side to side.
- Know where the emergency exits are located, and keep the path to these doors clear at all times.
- Create an evacuation plan. This should include designating someone on each shift to call 911, oversee the evacuation, and ensure everyone makes it out safely.
- Offer emergency training for new employees to ensure everyone is familiar with the evacuation plan and how to use a fire extinguisher. Give everyone a refresher course once a year.
Schedule Kitchen Fire Suppression Services in Maryland
If your Maryland restaurant is due for an inspection or need a fire suppression plan to be put in place, you’ve come to the right people. Our number one focus is your safety—we want to make sure your employees, property, and equipment are safe from the dangers of potential fires. We take pride in our “customer first” reputation, and we will do whatever it takes to make sure your belongings and guests are protected from fire hazards and that your building meets fire safety codes.
The best thing about partnering with Guardian Fire Protection is that we are your single source solution for all fire protection services. Our experienced fire safety professionals specialize in all aspects of fire protection, including:
- Fire sprinkler systems
- Fire alarm systems
- Fire suppression systems
- Fire extinguishers
- Emergency lighting
- And more!
Contact us online or by phone at 301-861-0972 to schedule an appointment.
We provide kitchen fire protection services in:
Maryland: Adelphi, Annapolis, Aspen Hill, Baltimore, Beallsville, Beltsville, Bethesda, Bowie, Capitol Heights, Chevy Chase, Clinton, College Park, Columbia, Ellicott City, Frederick, Gaithersburg, Germantown, Glen Burnie, Greenbelt, Hagerstown, Hanover, Herndon, Hyattsville, Lanham, Laurel, Leonardtown, Mt. Airy, Olney, Poolesville, Potomac, Riverdale, Rockville, Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Towson, Upper Marlboro, Waldorf, White Oak
Providing faster, smarter, and more efficient fire protectionLearn more here