What Happens During a Fire Extinguisher Inspection?
As a restaurant or business owner in the Maryland, Washington, DC or Virginia area, it’s important to follow fire extinguisher inspection guidelines. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has established these guidelines to help protect business owners, employees and customers from the deadly effects of fire.
First, the NFPA requires monthly fire extinguisher inspections, which you can complete yourself. While these steps are important for ensuring your fire extinguishers remain at the ready in case of a fire, they are not a substitute for professional maintenance. After all, the NFPA also requires annual professional fire extinguisher inspections.
Contrary to common thought, an annual fire extinguisher inspection doesn’t involve testing the extinguisher. After all, this would needlessly waste its firefighting contents. The NFPA recommends testing only once every five to 12 years, depending on the type of fire extinguishers you have.
Fire Extinguisher Maintenance Checklist
When you hire a professional to conduct a formal fire extinguisher inspection, the inspector will:
- Verify that a portable fire extinguisher is placed within 75 feet of travel on every floor of the building.
- Verify that a portable fire extinguisher is situated within 30 feet of cooking equipment in a commercial kitchen or restaurant.
- Ensure that each fire extinguisher is conspicuously located, not obstructed by objects and readily available for use in case of a fire.
- Make sure the label indicating the type of fire extinguisher is legible.
- Check the pressure dial for readability. Make sure the dial is pointing to the green to indicate a full charge.
- Make sure the fire extinguisher hose is intact.
- Make sure the pull pin is fastened securely within the handle and the tamper seal is unbroken.
- Check for dents, cracks or other signs on damage on the body of the extinguisher.
- Look for any modifications to the fire extinguisher that could possibly reduce its functionality.
Fire Extinguisher Inspections In Maryland, Virginia & Washington, DC
Check the dates on the tags hanging from the fire extinguishers in your building. If they indicate more than a year has passed since the last professional inspection, contact Guardian Fire Protection today.
As an experienced fire protection company with 40 years in the business, you know you can trust our knowledgeable servicemen to bring your fire extinguisher inspections up to date.
Providing faster, smarter, and more efficient fire protectionLearn more here