Burnt Out Exit Lights: What Should You Do?
As a business owner, it’s your responsibility to make sure your emergency lighting system is properly functioning at all times. Not only does this ensure that your employees, customers, and other occupants will be safe, but it will keep you in compliance with OSHA and LIFE SAFETY codes (and help you avoid costly fines)!
Of course, installing emergency lights and exit signs in your building may seem obvious, but when it comes to maintaining and repairing your lighting system, you may not know what to do. If your exit lights burn out or are malfunctioning, keeping reading to learn what to do!
If you need help maintaining your emergency lighting system in Maryland, Virginia, or Washington, DC, give the fire protection experts at Guardian a call today at 301-861-0972!
My Emergency Exit Sign Isn’t Lit
When your emergency exit signs are not working, your first instinct may be to check the light bulb. However, the problem could stem from a couple of different things. Make sure to check:
- The main bulbs. No matter your exit sign’s location, it should remain illuminated at all times. If you get regular maintenance on your emergency lighting system, your exit sign actually has one or more main bulbs that glows at all times, switching from main power to battery power in an emergency. Check this before moving on to other parts of the system!
- The low-voltage bulb. Your low-voltage bulb is powered by a battery and only turns on when the power goes out. In other words, if this bulb burns out, your exit sign will fail to glow in an emergency.
- The reserve battery. If your emergency exit sign has a defective battery, you should replace it! Though defective batteries may still contain enough power to illuminate a low-voltage bulb for a few seconds if the power goes out, it’s important to take care of the problem early on!
Repairing and Replacing Your Exit Sign
Once you figure out what is causing the problem in your exit sign, it’s time to replace any defective components—you can do so by following these steps:
- Remove the front panel of the exit sign.
- Locate the malfunctioning bulb or battery.
- Remove the damaged part.
- Replace it!
If you need assistance replacing the components in your emergency lighting sign, call a professional fire protection company! An expert will be able to not only help fix your exit light, but they can determine whether or not you need to replace the product as a whole!
Call a Professional for Help with Your Emergency Exit Sign
When you notice an issue with your emergency lighting system, it may be time to call a professional. Are you located in Maryland, Virginia, or Washington, DC? Guardian Fire Protection can help! With over 30 years of experience providing complete fire protection services to businesses, organizations, government buildings, and restaurants in the Greater DC area, our fire safety experts can give you the help you deserve!
Contact us online or by phone at 301-861-0972 to schedule your service today.
Providing faster, smarter, and more efficient fire protectionLearn more here