Fire Protection for Schools in Washington, DC
As a daycare director, high school principal, or university manager, you’re responsible for the safety of everyone in your educational facility. If you don’t already have fire protection measures in place, now’s the time to learn about your school’s fire risks and how to mitigate them.
Fires in Schools
Each year, about 5,690 educational buildings catch fire, according to statistics from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). These fires cause 85 injuries and $92 million in property damage annually.
High schools account for the majority of losses, with 4,000 fires breaking out in these buildings every year. Arsonists cause half of all school fires. The other top two causes include cooking equipment and accidental ignition from playing with heat sources.
Protect Your DC School from Fire
You can take two primary approaches to keep your DC-area school building safe from fire: install fire protection equipment and train your teachers and staff in fire safety protocols.
Fire Protection Equipment for Schools in DC
Every school should feature the following fire protection equipment:
- Fire extinguishers to give your teachers and staff the ability to put out small blazes before they create a real threat
- Fire alarms to detect fires and alert everyone in the building to evacuate
- Emergency lighting to guide the way if the fire leads to a power outage
- Sprinkler systems for 24-hour protection against fires
Fire Safety Protocols All Teachers Should Know
With the right fire protection equipment in place, you’ve taken the first step toward improving your school’s fire safety. Go one step further and make sure all your teachers and staff know:
- How to use a fire extinguisher
- The locations of all fire extinguishers and pull stations in the school
- How to follow the evacuation routes posted on classroom walls
- The need to use the stairs rather than the elevator in a fire emergency
- Where all emergency exits are located and the importance of keeping these exit routes clear
- Protocols for watching their class and taking attendance during fire drills
Schedule Fire Protection Services for Your School in DC
Whether you need fire protection equipment installed, inspected, repaired, recharged, or replaced, Guardian Fire Protection is here for you. Let us put our 40 years of experience to good use for your DC-area school.
Contact us online or call 301-861-0972 today to schedule the fire protection services your school requires from a true fire safety professional.
Providing faster, smarter, and more efficient fire protectionLearn more here